I picked up the little assistants today and we decided to take on a few more projects. On the way home we stopped at Ikea to exchange Camille’s lamp with a clip type so I don’t have to mount it to the wall up top. As always a trip to Ikea spirals out of control and we ended up with a few extra things. Besides the Ikea Jansjo Clamp Spotlight for Camille Ayana decided she wanted pink rather than the orange she had picked up a few weeks ago. I secretly wanted a Clamp spotlight for my own room so I let her pick the new color she wanted and will have hers. (my kids aren’t spoiled though, no way).
Also ended up picking them up each a Pluggis Container Set for storage on their walls. Ayana specifically wanted one to store her book in after reading at bedtime. Who can fight that right? During the drive home I told Ayana about the cork board I’d picked up for her room at the thrift store. It wasn’t in shabby shape but a typical boring cork board. She’s growing up quickly and is getting into charms and chains and jewelry. With some push pins I knew it would make a perfect way for her to hang her little bits and photos and other random keepsakes. I had her search pinterest for Chevron Corkboard DIY and she was sold. Ayana is a very go go go non stop kinda person. She is very neat and organized and focused. That focus meant once we were home she was on me to hang the storage containers, wash the new duvet cover (oh i didn’t mention that?) and get that cork board ready to go. So i set her loose. I showed her how to sand it and then vacuum it and she went at the cork board. I helped her tape off the edges then let her prime. At this point I have no clue where Camille was or she was doing. While it was drying we hung the storage containers in her room and she talked her sister out of the two square mirrors that were intended for Camille’s room for the 4 pack. She wanted the border white and the inside chevron gray. Figured we could make it work by mixing some of the 3 year old red paint (Seattle Red that’s on the door) with some of the white primer. After I got it to the pink of her approval they painted the frame. Once i realized i’d mixed up waaayyy too much paint I had them grab the blond wood side table that was previously been in Camille’s room. I gave it a quick good sanding and vacuuming and taped it off. I let them paint on the pink stripes and border (yep, blame them for the bleeding).
After i started drawing lines for the Chevron on the cork board I realized things were not coming out balanced and it would be lots and lots of taping. So I decided that we were over Chevron. We went with diagonal stripes instead. Easy enough for me to lay down a strip of painter’s tape and then use a mini piece to measure the space for the next. We pulled again from our paint stash. This time using the dark gray from our family room. Kelly Moore Martini Shaker Gray that came out nearly the same dark metallic like gray of their loft beds. Camille very much enjoyed the peeling process. We were very happy with how it came out. Next time I would tape up the inside ledge so it would remain solid pink. For some reason I thought it would look good with the gray running up the side. Here’s the improved space (with a table that was brought back out to the garage after the photo since i’d just applied another coat of Poly to it) I told her to wait a bit for the paint to really cure on the cork board before she went pinning crazy. We went ahead and hung a few pieces of her jewelry.