painting

with a little help from my chickens

I picked up the little assistants today and we decided to take on a few more projects.  On the way home we stopped at Ikea to exchange Camille’s lamp with a clip type so I don’t have to mount it to the wall up top.  As always a trip to Ikea spirals out of control and we ended up with a few extra things.  Besides the Ikea Jansjo Clamp Spotlight for Camille Ayana decided she wanted pink rather than the orange she had picked up a few weeks ago.  I secretly wanted a Clamp spotlight for my own room so I let her pick the new color she wanted and will have hers.  (my kids aren’t spoiled though, no way).

Also ended up picking them up each a Pluggis Container Set for storage on their walls.  Ayana specifically wanted one to store her book in after reading at bedtime.  Who can fight that right? During the drive home I told Ayana about the cork board I’d picked up for her room at the thrift store.  It wasn’t in shabby shape but a typical boring cork board.  She’s growing up quickly and is getting into charms and chains and jewelry.  With some push pins I knew it would make a perfect way for her to hang her little bits and photos and other random keepsakes.  I had her search pinterest for Chevron Corkboard DIY and she was sold. Ayana is a very go go go non stop kinda person.  She is very neat and organized and focused.  That focus meant once we were home she was on me to hang the storage containers, wash the new duvet cover (oh i didn’t mention that?) and get that cork board ready to go.  So i set her loose.  I showed her how to sand it and then vacuum it and she went at the cork board.  I helped her tape off the edges then let her prime.  At this point I have no clue where Camille was or she was doing. DSC00599 DSC00602 While it was drying we hung the storage containers in her room and she talked her sister out of the two square mirrors that were intended for Camille’s room for the 4 pack.  She wanted the border white and the inside chevron gray.  Figured we could make it work by mixing some of the 3 year old red paint (Seattle Red that’s on the door) with some of the white primer.  After I got it to the pink of her approval they painted the frame.   Once i realized i’d mixed up waaayyy too much paint I had them grab the blond wood side table that was previously been in Camille’s room.  I gave it a quick good sanding and vacuuming and taped it off.  I let them paint on the pink stripes and border (yep, blame them for the bleeding).

After i started drawing lines for the Chevron on the cork board I realized things were not coming out balanced and it would be lots and lots of taping.  So I decided that we were over Chevron.  We went with diagonal stripes instead.  Easy enough for me to lay down a strip of painter’s tape and then use a mini piece to measure the space for the next. We pulled again from our paint stash.  This time using the dark gray from our family room.  Kelly Moore Martini Shaker Gray that came out nearly the same dark metallic like gray of their loft beds.   DSC00604 DSC00606 DSC00610 DSC00613 Camille very much enjoyed the peeling process.  We were very happy with how it came out.  Next time I would tape up the inside ledge so it would remain solid pink.  For some reason I thought it would look good with the gray running up the side. DSC00614 DSC00615 Here’s the improved space (with a table that was brought back out to the garage after the photo since i’d just applied another coat of Poly to it)  I told her to wait a bit for the paint to really cure on the cork board before she went pinning crazy.  We went ahead and hung a few pieces of her jewelry. DSC00619 DSC00620   DSC00625

Advertisements

Painting might not be my thing

I just don’t think I have the patience for this.  6 times with drying in between.  Meant sanding and vacuuming and coating it with 2 layers of primer, 2 layers of paint and 2 layers of poly.  And for what will probably be just decent results.  I can see brush strokes… maybe they will settle, maybe i’m just too used to laminate furniture.  Maybe I should never ever paint another piece of furniture ever again.  The pictures below are right before the last 2 coats of Poly.  Aka.  Paintint.. wait more painting.  I went with a clear satin finish and water based Minwax Polycrylic (water based because that’s what the guy told me to get and I had left my phone in the car and couldn’t google).

I was surprised when I opened the can to find the milky stuff.  I folded it and mixed it for a while like I was instructed and it went on surprisingly easy, I think i was expecting something more like molasses when I opened the can.  Despite my dusting and vacuuming I did manage to get a few stray bits that I had to brush and brush to get out.

DSC00566

DSC00569

 

Now to let this guy dry overnight.  Photos to come of it in it’s new home in Camille’s room.  (hopefully she loves the piece as much as I do when she sees it).